Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Home made "Teddy Grahams"

When Syler was taken off dairy, my eyes were opened widely to all the terrible ingredients in the food we eat. So I decided to change our food, not just to start buying more organic(we already bought organic produce) but to also start making as many things as I could from scratch, especially since I could then make essentially anything for Syler with a dairy subsitute, the poor kid cant have almost any store bought snack food, most have dairy and those that dont have dairy have soy. Which he is very sensitive to, not like dairy but bad enough that we choose to avoid it. I already made the common things from scratch like pizza dough, pie dough, biscuits, cookies, etc. But I wanted to dive into the more commonly store bought items. Not only is this a great health benefit, it is a money saver and has less packaging then the store bought counterparts, saving me from throwing any unnecessary garbage away.

 I have been making all our bread and this was one of our first snack projects: Home made Teddy Grahams. 


I have these cute little cookie cutters that came with my holiday cookie cutter set. They were set aside for use with play-dough, but have a new life now. We made teddy grahams and snowmen grahams.

I have some of the best helpers in the world, patient and precise. These were perfectly cut. 







mmmmmmmmm, these guys turned out extremely yummy!!! Sweet and spicy in flavor, not quite as crispy as I was hoping, but I found another recipe to try that looks crispier. Other plans coming sooner then later: fruit snacks, granola bars, Chocolate hazelnut spread, Spaghetti sauce and spice mixes ( like taco seasoning). My list of recipes to try keeps getting longer.

3 comments:

  1. You would be doing me a favor to share what recipes you try and what you think of them! I've not had success with crackers yet or spaghetti sauce or taco seasoning. :-):-) Are you keeping a list of recipes to try in your pinterest? I could do a few too and we could share results. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have them in my pinterest account, I just renamed a board "Home made not store bought" that is where I will be moving all these recipes to. I have not tried them all yet but will keep them there until I try and decide what I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun pictures!! And how wonderful that you will be helping many others who have loved ones who are lactose intolerant. Thanks, Aleah!!

    ReplyDelete