Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Zander's "Nature school"

Many of you know I plan to home-school my kids. I believe that they learn so much better at home. I also believe there are some skills I wont be able to teach, and planned on giving them ample opportunities to learn from skilled craftsmen of all different sorts.

I recently came across a camp in Portland that also has a home school connection program every Wednesday from 9-2  that teaches children basic skills for living off the land and in nature. I was so excited!! They even had a preschool program!! I applied for a scholarship for Zander (you have to be 4 years to start so he is the only on who could attend) and they granted him a 25% scholarship for the spring term. Such a blessing! If you want to check out the school their website is www.trackerspdx.com They are quite simply in my mind AMAZING.

We went to day for Zander to have a trial day to ensure that he would enjoy going to school there. I would never make him do something that made him uncomfortable so I knew a trial day was a must. Paul decided to go to work late so that he could see what the school was all about.

When we arrived we met a few of the staff members, all of them so very nice. There was a good group of probably 8-10 kids including Zander, a couple others also having their first day. There were 3 teachers there when we dropped him off. He later informed me that there were 4 with them during the day. Great ratio for kids to teachers. :)  Anyway Zander was a bit unsure about staying for the day, after all the only time he has been away from me has been for shorter periods of time, 1-3 hours and usually at a friends house and ALWAYS with his brothers next to him. This was the very first time he was going to be by himself with out mommy or his brothers around. We stayed and watched for about 20 min so he would have the chance to warm up and decide if he would stay. While we were there the kids were learning how to make fire using friction. They were shown how to use the string of a bow to make a spindle move fast enough on a block of wood to grind and make "fire dust".  The kids paired up and took turns, Zander got some special help from one of the teachers since he was new and had never done it before. Its definitely a skill that takes practice, but Zander had a pretty decent start at it. Once they were done they were headed over to do some Archery, I gave Zander a hug and told him I would be back at 2 oclock to pick him up. He again was a little apprehensive but was excited enough to want to stay, with the help of a hand from one of the teachers.

It was odd having him gone most of the day, however it was great seeing Drezden take over big brother roll big time. He wanted to show Syler so many things, usually he and Zander are so busy playing together that Syler sometimes gets left alone. Syler loved the attention Drezden was giving him. The time passed fast and before I knew it we needed to leave to get Zander.

I walked in about 2:08, the teachers had told me that a little after 2 was fine, as they usually are still finishing up. As soon as Zander saw me he ran over and gave me a big hug, then said he wanted me and wanted to go home. I was a first a little concerned that he didnt have a good day, but the teachers assured me that he had  GREAT day and that he didnt even mention me until the other kids started getting picked up. So they had him start to pack his back pack and get ready to be picked up which was enough to get him distracted so that the time would pass.  Such a sweet little boy I have. I chatted with the teachers a little bit to get a good feel on how Zander did and they really enjoyed him and wanted to be sure they would see him next week. I already love the staff and it was his first day.

Once we got out to the car I asked Zander how his day was and he was so excited to tell me about it. I got little bits of information from him. He made a kite and did some "woodshop", sounded fun to me! 

It was once we got home that he started expanding on what he did. through out the evening bit by bit different memories would pop in his head and he would share them. This is what I gathered from his first day:
*They learned to make fire dust with a bow ( I knew this of course, I was there for that part.)
*They did archery "mommy I had a bow and pulled the string way back and they arrow shot way out!"
*They went outside and collected sticks, then brought them inside and with the help of some older students, they made them into Kites. ( he brought his home and its hanging in his room)
*They threw "ninja stars" at a big X. "mommy you have to hold them like this, and go next to your head like this then throw really hard at the big x. I hit it lots!! I threw three stars!"
* They told lots of stories, Zander specifically remembered "The Lorax" (one of my faves) But said that there were lots of other stories told. 
*They did "wood shop" Zander brought home his piece of wood, he showed me "Here is where I used a long saw, it was this long mommy (arms stretched out), then here is where I used nails and a hammer, but my nails didnt go all the way through so there are just these little holes left. And mommy here is where I used a drill! (points to the hole in the middle) it wasnt like daddy's drill this one was long and had a big handle I had to turn to make it drill the hole."
*\"mommy, my nature school doesnt have any toys, just a couple balls. Its ok though because I get to work with real things" ( He has always distinguished toys as things that are pretend and bought at the store or made by someone, where things that he plays with outside like sticks, dirt and rocks are real. So I love that he sees these tools as real things and not toys."

When I asked him what his favorite thing about today was he said " THE NINJA STARS!!" 

Wow is all I thought by the end of the evening. He did have a pretty awesome day!
He already is talking about going again, he says he will still want me but that he knows he will be ok and that I will come back to get him after. 
I am so happy to have found this school and so happy to be able to give him some time with older kids and to learn such amazing crafts and skills taught by these instructors with years of experience in the lost arts of our culture.

1 comment:

  1. To Zander.......

    Grandma Liz is so very, very proud of you! I can hardly wait to see all the things you made.

    And how wonderful that Drezden and Syler made a bigger connection.....reminds me of Paul and Angela after Maria went to school. :)

    ReplyDelete