Sunday, March 1, 2015

Katara Isalynn Stein is here!!!

It seems like we have been waiting so long for our sweet baby girl to make her appearance. Today, her due date, she did just that. 

Katara Isalynn Stein  
Born at home into the water on
March 1st 2015 at 11:42 A.M.
Weighing in at 7 pounds 7 ounces and 20 inches long.
Surrounded by love.






Birth story and some additional photos/birth photos for those interested.

I woke up at about 6 am to a contraction that woke me from a dead sleep. Since I had been having off and on contractions for a couple weeks now I decided to get up and get some water, walk around and see what happened. About 10 minutes later I had another and knew today was going to be the day. I woke up Paul and we called the midwife, who headed out right away, my sister who called my mom and they both headed over, and my cousin Chris. We started to fill the birth pool, just hoping we would get enough water in it fast enough this time that I could actually enjoy it. 

My contractions, as usual for me, were anywhere from 10-30 min apart. When they came they were strong and working hard to prepare my body for Katara. My nurse Carissa was the first to arrive about 7am. My sister about then as well. A midwife student about 7:10 and the midwife at about 7:15. My mom made it about 7:30-45... And I have no idea what time my cousin arrived. I feel like it was before shortly after the midwife... but my memory is mush during that time. I was able to get into the pool at about 7:30am. At this point I was 7 cm dilated. I had another contraction in the pool then we waited.... and waited..... and waited, my contractions were getting farther apart, they were still strong and I knew they were still doing their job but realized that my body responds to the birth pool almost too well, totally relaxing in it. So I made a point to get out about every 30 min to bring on another contraction, then get back in. This went on until about 11 am when I had one VERY intense contraction.. I knew it was close, I knew it was almost time. I got right back into the pool and about 15 min later had another intense contraction.  I swayed and floated through it then just felt I needed to be on my hands and knees. I flipped myself over in the pool and the contractions started coming, every 3-5 min. I worked through about 3 contractions to move her down into the birth canal, then one contraction where my water broke, then one final contraction that brought her whole self right out. I rolled myself back over and brought Katara up onto my belly. Her cord was too short for her to be very far out of the water, so as we waited for the placenta to be birthed and the time for cutting the cord to come, I just held my sweet baby on my legs. I couldn't stop staring at her... She was beautiful, she was amazing, she was screaming...... So strong, big lungs, letting everyone know she was here. As soon as she let out her first scream, her brothers all came running over to see her. 

The boys had spent the morning right there with us all. They watched a couple of their favorite movies, read books and were just being there. They did so great, knowing exactly what was happening and knowing that they were going to meet their little sister soon, so as soon as they heard her, they knew it was time to meet her. 

Her birth was beautiful and peaceful, surrounded by so much love. I am truly blessed to have such amazing people in my life. 




Waiting for the placenta to birth:





Daddy holds her for the first time. (yes thats Syler sleeping on his back)







Getting checked out by the nurse






Drezden, always the concerned one




Meeting her brothers







Her first diaper, we love our cloth!: 





No comments:

Post a Comment